Sunday 22 May 2016

Death



Today morn I was walking by
the bookstore from where I generally buy
latest bestsellers or day’s newspaper
Saw an ad by our Creator
on the shiny new window pane
Words that are so insane
boldly written in black and gray
“Join us!! Death is recruiting today”

Breaking news: 2 killed and 5 injured 
due to a freak fire in bookstore!!

Scared, I ran as fast as I could
towards the metal concrete wood
desktop, laptop, fax and copier
a familiar place where I felt safer
my work, my client, my boss, my team
seat of power - my office cabin
A letter on the desk in bold black and gray
said “Join us!! Death is recruiting today”

Breaking news: an unidentified man died
due to malfunctioning of the lift that he plied

I ran again, now straight to my home
where my garden was in full bloom
awashed with flowers, all in white
colour of peace, colour of light
my sofa, my rug, bone-china and bed
exclusive, embroidered, priceless bed-spread
A message on the TV in bold black and gray
announced “Join us!! Death is recruiting today” 

Breaking news: robbers shot a man
whose unexpected arrival at home thwarted  their plan

Now no place to go, no place to hide
just bidding my time, petrified
It’s time to return to the place of God
as a fugitive of death, heaven’s outlaw
Your sun, your moon, your world, your soul
I am just a fraction to your complete whole
Misguided we fight, till our last breath
lest we are recruited by the dreaded Death

This body is a means not an end
Given to rise above, to transcend.
This awakened soul now awaits your loving embrace
Take me!!  I finally surrender to Death’s kind face.


Amen.

Copyright: Shukla Banik (May 22nd. 2016)

No comments:

Post a Comment