Monday 23 May 2016

Accident



A dark cold night blinded by thick white mist, 
Am driving down the street, feeling absolutely pissed.
At that time he took a turn too fast, or was my reflexes slow?
Brake, skid, tyre burn - tree by my side felt the full blow. 
“Quickly send an ambulance” a shaken voice was saying,
“God, please show some mercy” the voice kept on praying.
My chest felt tight like a stone and I can hear a distant moan,
While floating from dark to light, between known and unknown.

“My mother is ill" the voice said, "was hurrying to call a Doc”
I tried very hard to remember, when last I have seen my mom.
On my eighteenth birthday, the day I stormed out of her home.
“Stop running my life for me, I want to live alone”
From that day onwards, I have not called her once
Will surely call her now, if only I get that chance.
Dunno how she fared in life, whether she lived or died,
In her retirement home, with her memories all archived.
I am forty-two today to her eighty-seven,
Will she ever forgive me, when I finally reach heaven. 

“Wife is expecting our first child” voice said “this very month rather.
I want to hold the child in my arms and be a hands-on father.
Ambulance will be here soon, try to breathe slowly.
I am praying for you now, don’t give-up so easily.”
I too remembered having a wife, thirteen-years of marriage,
My burning need for an heir, left her with many miscarriage.
Thinking it’s all her fault, I took to booze and lovers,
My bretrayal hurt her so much that she hanged her with bed covers.
I am forty-two today to her thirty-seven
Will she ever forgive me, when I finally reach heaven.

Blare of heaven’s bell, I hear, are coming from near or far?
White-clothed angel, oh-so gently, pulled me in a comfy stretcher.
They felt my head, they felt my ribs, they felt my arms and legs,
It should hurt but strangely though, I felt only numbing effect.
Feeling fit I rise above, in a puff of white-gray smoke,
That moment I felt strangely light, my senses fully awoke.
A crumpled-mangled body like mine, was lying on blood soaked-ground,
A badly shaken man by its side, was making awful choking sound.
I died at age forty-two without sorting my personal hell,
Never will I get to say “sorry” as I hear my own death bell!! 

Copyright: Shukla Banik

Posted in Poemish: April 9th 2016
Posted in Facebook: April 12 2016


No comments:

Post a Comment