Sunday 12 June 2016

Soulmate



It was raining heavily the day when I first noticed you,
dismounting from your mortal mount they called a bike
rain-drenched clothes enhancing your musculine beauty,
helmet in your hand - a reminder of the battle-weary shield back home.

You just returned from your daily earthly wanderings,
shaking tiny droplets of rain from your hair,
which when caught by the nearby light 
gave you a halo made of thousand shining stars

Sitting on the porch, watching the birds returning
from their day-long gruel for sustenance,
I was singing the song of rain to cheer them up and
to celebrate the first flush of youth and innocence.

That very moment you looked my way
remembering and acknowledging our age-old celestial bond
That caressing look is now archived in my heart
to be re-lived during every rainy season.

That entire summer we communicated silently
either through the window of your mortal abode
or shooting covert glances in otherwise busy street
but the shackles of our bodies kept us apart

We both remembered the time spent together 
in a faraway land, centuries ago
When the cursed fate tore us apart
to mind our earthly business separately.

I wish we had spoken the day
your bike splashed me devilishly 
with muddy water from the road-side puddle.
Instead you sped away laughing like mad.

I wish we had kissed the day
you asked me for help on a mundane matter
instead we just gawked at each other like a 
love-sick teenager on their first date.

I wished, you wished, we both wished
and yet again, the cursed fate intervened
You left with your soon-to-be mortal partner
and I kept reminiscing about our short summer together. 

It’s raining again today evening 
and the birds are returning home
Your window and my porch is now gone
sacrificed at the alter of development and greed.

But I will sing again today with the hope 
that the breeze carry the notes of my song to you
reminding you of your eternal soulmate who is waiting
patiently for that time when we meet again - in some other world.


Copyright: Shukla Banik 10/6/2016

No comments:

Post a Comment