Sunday 25 September 2016

Remember


Remember that day when we were stuck inside the lift,
Confined to our seperate corners we remained silent,
Even though I saw you throwing the recently-lit cigarette in the bin
To childishly follow me inside the lift.

Remember that day when you stopped me at the street
Pretending to be lost, asking for direction to your friend's place
Even though I saw you multiple times before
Visiting that same friend just a couple of blocks away

Remember that day when you knocked on my door
With a feigned request for a bowl of sugar
Even though I saw you shopping in the mart
For a month's worth of sugar just the other day

Remember that day when you asked me out for the first time
You took me straight to the scariest ride of my life
Even though you sensed my utter panick
The moment I realised that we are going to an amusement park

Remember that day when you invited me for dinner
You kept waiting patiently for me to show-up
Even though you saw me hiding behind the tea stall
At the other side of the kerb, to effect a delayed entrance.

Remember that day when you broke through my defences
By holding me tight and refusing to let go
Even though you were aware of my need to be left alone
To quietly deal with the loss of a loved one.

Remember that day when you said I am a girl with a golden heart
Who deserved to be swept off her feet by Prince Charming
Even though you were aware that all I ever desired
Was the heat of your love instead of the coolness of our friendship

I remember that day when our common friend called
To gently break the news of your union with our best pal
Even though you were aware that I will be forever floundering
To collect the ashes of my burnt heart for the blessed oblivion.

Each second, each minute, each hour, each day from that moment
I regret not having the courage to jump off that moving car
Even though, deep in my heart, I know you are not coming back ever
I still wait for you to return once to say, "Move on... It's over."

I don't want to remember but I still do.
Somehow.

Copyright: Shukla Banik

No comments:

Post a Comment