Saturday 3 June 2017

Chance Encounter


One hot summer evening
While crossing a busy street,
His eyes clashed with mine
and my heart missed a beat.
Was it an hour or just a fraction
that time stood still
Two halves of a soul rejoined
while old memories spilled.

That too was a hot summer, 
when we first met
Already a star by then,
his goals were set
What was I then?
Just a naive little girl
Buck teeth, big glasses
and thick bushy curls.
Different background,
different paths to chase
Yet we felt the magic pull
when our souls embraced.
We kept meeting afterwards
regularly, every day,
Sitting in awkward silence
searching for something to say.
Sitting alone in my room though
words often bubbled and danced
making me laugh or cry aloud,
with parents looking askance
Then came a time of reckoning
when suddenly it came to an end
Our romance, like passing summer,
had nothing more to augment

Years later when our eyes met again
while crossing a busy street
I wondered if it was love 
that made my heart miss a beat?


Copyright: Shukla Banik

No comments:

Post a Comment