Tuesday 6 June 2017

Being Youthful


Once upon a time
when I was in my prime
The mirror in the wall 
showed a gamine girl
clear skin, rosy cheeks, 
firm body, supple knees
boundless energy in every step,
juicy gossips with non-judgemental friends
Favourite book - Nancy Drew
Favourite sitcom - ‘Lucy, I Love you’
Loving skirmishes with opposite sex
nothing serious till I move on to the next
Chest full of treasured gifts
Chocolate, perfume which I cherished!!

It’s now a different matter
as I slowly loose control over my bladder
with sagging body, creaking bones,
crow’s feet,  freaking kidney stones
Poor eyesight saying goodbye to books
Eccentric lovers or just clumpsy groping fools
A gift of a cream, these days, to keep me wrinkle-free
Lits up my face with an impish glee!!

Sensing my frustration, wise quill says,
“Appreciate each moment, stop being a pest!!
Leave behind your vanity, try to be kind
Age is just a number, a state of mind”
I dedicate this poem to all those who think they are old
Let’s enjoy the moment before death sell our souls!!


Copyright: Shukla Banik

No comments:

Post a Comment